Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

It's BJ.  Rumpy asked me to post something about Hanukkah from my point of view.  So hear goes -


I learned a little about Hanukkah after I came home with Lynda.  For starters, Hanukkah is known as the festival of lights, an eight day festival to commemorate the rededication of the Temple in 167 B.C.E.

If I were a Jewish dog, I'm glad I wasn't around in 168 B.C.E.  I could have been killed.  In short, the Jews were being persecuted by Antiochus IV.  He massacred them, wouldn’t let them practice their religion, and made them eat food they weren’t allowed to eat.   From my perspective, that meant that I might not have had a family or a home and would have had to eat food from pigs.  Bacon may taste good, but as a Jewish dog I'm not supposed to have it.

Two groups of Jews banded together to fight the oppression and won the revolution.  Since the Temple was desecrated because the Jews were forced to sacrifice pigs in it, the Temple needed to be rededicated.   Oil was needed for the menorah which  was supposed to burn for eight days.  (Seems like a long time to me, but hey, what do I know, I'm only a dog, cute but still a dog.)  There was only enough for one day, yet it burned for eight days.  An eight day festival commemorated the miracle.

We start with lighting one candle on the first night and add another each night.  Giving gifts has been added to the celebration because it’s so close to Christmas and the kids were jealous.

After Lynda lights the candles and says the prayer, I get special treats instead of a present (because I have too many toys and coats).  That’s the best part of Hanukkah.  When the Christians get gifts on one day, i get stuff on eight days.  Yea!

I can’t remember all of the details, so I hope you get the idea. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi BJ...it's GizmoGeodog here and I'm a Jewish dog too...I love Chanukah cause I get a special treat every night after Mom lights her candles...WE ahve a lot in common...Both terriers and we weigh the same and we both came from scary shelter places...Hope to get to know you better *snoogles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, this is Gizmo's mom Beth I am writing my post for the Dog Bloggers Gift Exchange and would love to include a photo of you and BJ. Would you like to email me a picture I can use? I would be very grateful. jgandb at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete